Joyce Safian Scholarship Award
Joyce Safian was the originator of the Association, formerly known as the Association of Hospital Employee Health Professionals (AHEHP) which was renamed in 1994 to AOHP. When Joyce began working as a hospital employee health nurse, she recognized that this is a specialty area which lacked a “go-to place”. She wrote policies, made presentation, and significantly reduced workers’ compensation costs for her hospital. Soon people began calling upon her expertise so she organized a local networking group. She served as the first chapter president. She has an entrepreneurial spirit and describes herself as pioneering inroads in Northern California. Her mission was to make evidenced-based protocols for hospital employee health programs. Her experience in employee health gave her a start to develop her own consulting business.
The Joyce Safian award is a $500.00 scholarship to be used for educational purposes at the discretion of the recipient (classes, conferences, subscriptions, library, etc.). This scholarship shall be awarded annually to a past or present Association officer who best portrays an occupational health professional in healthcare role model.
1. The executive president solicits nominations via announcement to the executive board of directors and chapter presidents in May.
2. Nominations close July 1st of each year.
3. A list of candidates and their qualifications shall be presented to the executive board of directors to be completed prior to the annual national board meeting.
4. The awardee shall be announced at the annual membership meeting.
5. A letter of recognition shall be sent to the recipient’s CEO from the executive president.
Criteria for selection of the Joyce Safian Scholarship Award may include but are not limited to:
• Published articles for the AOHP Journal
• Authored articles for other publications
• Paper/poster/presentations at AOHP sponsored conferences/meetings—all levels
• Paper/poster/presentations for other professional organizations
• Member of national offices/committees/projects
• Chair of national committees/projects
• Participation in research activities
• Other activities indicative of Association excellence
Download Scholarship Award Application
Joyce Safian Award Recipients
1982 - Julie Schmid
1983 - Gail Grynbaum & Jeanne Culver
1984 - Barbara Steinberg
1985 - Annette Pool
1986 - Ann Stinson
1987 - Rose Haas & Deborah Smith
1988 - Janie Cusick
1989 - Jeanne Culver & Louise Yinger
1990 - Sandra Bobbitt
1991 - Sharon Kelsch
1992 - Margaret Frobey and Debbie McGuire
1993 - Barbara Gianelli
1994 - Sarah Gipson
1995 - Marian Sue Seib
1996 - Leslie Cohen
1997 - No award
1998 - Kathleen Van Doren
1999 - Charlene Gliniecki
2000 - Vicky McGavack
2001 - MaryAnn Gruden
2002 - Beverly Smith
2003 - Denise Strode
2004 - Sandra Prickitt
2005 - Deidre Tyler
2006 - Jan Frustaglia
2007 - Lynne Karnitz
2008 - Kim Stanchfield
2009 - Christine Pionk, MS, RN, COHN-S
2010 - Lydia Crutchfield, RN, BSN
2011 - Carolyn Amrich, RN, COHN
2012 - Nancy Pike, RN
2013 - Beverly Hagar, RN, BSN, COHN-S
2014 - Mary M. Cox, RN, MSN, COHN-S
2015 - Mary Bliss, RN, COHN
2016 - Bobbi Jo Hurst, RN, BSN, COHN-S
2017 - Peggy Anderson, RN, COHN/CM
2018 - Liesel Short, RN, BSN, COHN-s